Thursday, February 20, 2014

[RECIPE] Green Tea Ice Cream (No Ice Cream Maker)



There are a lot of foods and drinks that you can make with the miraculous ingredient called "the green tea powder". You can make green tea latte, green tea ice cream, green tea cookies, green tea pudding, green tea pannacotta, green tea roll cake, mochi green tea, and other creation that you can think of. I made some of it and of course I'll post it later ;)

This miraculous ingredient is quite expensive. I bought it for IDR 30k for around 50 grams green tea powder if I'm not mistaken. I forgot to take a pict of it :( 

This time I made green tea ice cream. At first after I bought that powder I didn't really know what I was going to make and my dad was suggested to make ice cream, so i made it.

I'm a freak green tea lovers, yes yes yes. And I think that ice cream is the dish I like the most from green tea. I don't know why but everytime I am going to buy an ice cream, I usually buy the green tea flavor. I think I can't live without greentea desserts LOL.

I adapted the recipe from "Spoonful Blog" :) I put a little more of the matcha powder but didn't add more sugar so it's a bit bitter because a lot of matcha which I like it that way.

Result: 3/4 part filled of 20 x 20 cm container box

Ingredients: 
- 3 tablespoons green tea powder (matcha)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks (room temperature) 
- 600 ml milk
- 500 ml heavy cream

How to make it:
1. In a small bow, mix the green tea powder with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks and remaining sugar. In this step, you have to be careful because the egg yolk and the sugar might not be able to fused perfectly. 

3. Pour the milk into a small pan and gently heat taking care not to let it boil (ideally the temperature of the milk should be 176 degrees F) and stir it continuously. 

4. Remove the milk from the heat and mix a few spoonfuls of the warm milk with the green tea powder and sugar in a small bowl. When you have a smooth paste, add it to the remaining milk in the pan, then gradually combine with the egg yolk mixture.

4. Return mixture to the stove and heat slowly over low heat (taking care to not let the mixture boil), until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat, strain through a fine sieve, and allow to cool completely.

5. Lightly whip the cream and then add it to the cold green tea-milk mixture.


6. Transfer the mixture to a large container and [chill for an hour or two in the refrigerator] and then put it in the freezer. 

7. As ice crystals start to form, remove, and mix well with a spoon (use a wooden spoon and stir very vigorously) to break them up and return the mixture to the freezer. 

8. Repeat this a few times as it freezes to ensure that the ice cream is smooth. This step is very important if you wanna have a perfect ice cream's texture. 



Poor me, I used cooking cream (I bought it wrongly, blame the shopkeeper because she said that it's the same with the cream that I used to buy ~.~ and I didn't really pay attention to the word "cooking cream" lol) and for the last step, I didn't do it like it used to be, I only stir it one time and it's already completely frozen. So the ice cream's texture is rough, not smooth and crystalized. 

It's just the different texture (which you can see from the the photo) from usual ice cream.  But, the taste is superrrrrrrrr delicious, and it really suits me well. I love it seriously, I just can't stop eat them everyday. 

-end-

Devina❤

No comments:

Post a Comment